Terms and Conditions for Mail & Guardian Subscriptions
These terms and conditions apply if you choose to take up a subscription of the Mail & Guardian and/or The Teacher.
Please read them carefully as they affect your rights and liabilities under the law and set out the terms under which
M&G Media Limited ("we" or "us") make subscriptions available to you.
Where indicated your subscription entitles you to receive a discount/listing/gift when subscribing for the duration of the initial contract entered into.
Your subscription is personal to you and non-transferable, except where you place an order for a subscription in someone else's name as a gift or on receipt of written communication from you and approval from M&G. In these circumstances, you will have to pay the subscription fees in accordance with section 3 below.
We reserve the right to refuse to accept any application for a subscription for any reason.
We may use third parties to assist in the provision and fulfillment of any part of the subscription service on our behalf.
We may pass your personal information provided by you to such third parties but only for the purposes of providing the subscription service to you.
Access to the digital edition is for the sole use of the subscriber and therefore passwords may not be shared. M&G reserves the right to cancel your subscription at anytime, without a refund if it is found that more then one individual is making use of a single username and password.
Subscription offers are available to persons aged 16 and over only, unless otherwise started. The Mail & Guardian is home delivered to most major metropolitan areas in South Africa, and posted to any address in the world, by either air or surface mail.
We reserve the right to withdraw or change any subscription offer package and/or price at any time. This will not affect any subscription that you have already paid for, unless for some reason we are withdrawing a subscription offer due to our inability to fulfill that offer, in which case the provisions of section 5 below will apply. If we change the price of your subscription after you have paid for it, the provisions of section 4 below will apply.
You agree to pay the subscription fees at the rates in effect when the charges are incurred. You can get details of these rates at www.mg.co.za or by calling 011 250 7300 / 0860 070 700. You are not required to pay VAT or delivery costs in relation to your subscription. You must provide us with complete and accurate payment information. You can pay for your subscription by direct debit or credit card.
Your order is an offer to buy from us. Nothing that we do or say will amount to any acceptance of that offer until: if you subscribe by internet or telephone, we send you confirmation of your payment or we send you your welcome letter/first copy, whichever is earlier; if we accept your order, your subscription will start on the date we agree with you.
If you pay for a subscription by direct debit there is no need to renew your subscription as it will continue until you cancel your direct debit and we will take payment every month/quarter/six months/year according to the subscription package you choose. You will continue to receive your copy every week until you cancel your direct debit. If we change the subscription price we will inform you of this so that you can choose whether or not to cancel your direct debit.
If you have paid by credit or debit card, we will remind you that your subscription is due to expire before it does. If we have changed the subscription price since your last payment we will inform you of this in the renewal reminder notice so that you can choose whether or not to proceed with the renewal.
- Refunds and Cancellation
Once we have accepted your subscription and payment, we regret that we cannot refund payment unless:
We may cancel your subscription immediately at our reasonable discretion or if you breach any of your obligations under these terms and conditions, including if we do not receive a payment when due from you.
If you have a query about obtaining a refund, please contact our customer services team (see details in section 7 below).
- we are unable to fulfill your subscription.
- there are exceptional circumstances, which we will assess on a case by case basis. If we then decide that exceptional circumstances apply we may, at our reasonable discretion, give you a proportionate refund.
- Our Responsibility to You
We shall not be responsible for any failure by us to perform our obligations to you in relation to your subscription where this failure is caused by circumstances beyond our control.
Our liability to you in connection with your subscription will not exceed the total subscription fees charged for your current subscription.
- Customer Services
If you have a query or complaint about our subscription service, please contact us using any of the contact details below:
- 0860 070 700
- Contact us
- PO BOX 91667, Auckland Park, 2006
- Competition Rules/Loyalty Programme
- The M&G’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Unless otherwise discussed, all prizes are to be collected from the offices of M&G Media in Rosebank, Johannesburg. Should the winner not be able to collect the gift, the gift will be couriered to an address of choice at the expense of the winner. Should the gift not change hands within six weeks of notification, the M&G will donate the gift to a charity of M&G’s choice.
- Subscriptions With a Free Gift
- Offer only valid for new subscribers. Offer only valid to successful subscribers. Once the gift has been delivered the subscription cannot be cancelled during the signed promotional period. Gift needs to be collected from the offices of the M&G in Rosebank, Johannesburg. Should the subscriber not be able to collect the gift, the M&G will courier the gift to an address of choice at the expense of the subscriber. Should the gift not change hands within six weeks of notification, the M&G will donate the gift to a charity of the M&G’s choice.
- We intend to rely on the written terms set out in these terms and conditions for the subscription service that we provide to you. We acknowledge that you may receive written and verbal information from our customer services team, which shall also be incorporated into these terms and conditions.